Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tina DeLuca blog response

 
 
The long and short of copyright is if you are the creator it is yours and nobody can use it unless they have your permission or you pay a royalty. For educational purposes there is a thing called Fair Use. However, if you can teach with out it then it is not Fair Use. There is nothing fair about Fair Use but the way that you use the content is the idea. This is very important in my class room because one of the projects is to research alternate energies and make a brochure. In order to complete this project the students need to look on the web for pictures of said energy then a diagram of how it works. I have a couple sites that pictures are free but if a student does it at home how am I supposed to know if it is legal or not.
I like the idea of Creative Commons trying to balance the field of All Restricted and Public Domain. This will allow our students to be creative and still get credit for their work. With out all of the laws getting in the way. I do think that the creator deserves the credit for their work. Just not sure about the money. I thought the way they handle music CD sales in Brazil was very interesting. The CD’s are given to street vendors as a promotional tool to help bring people to a concert, that is where the artist make the money, not off of the CD’s or copyrights.
The 21st century student have technology at their finger tips they speak through video and songs remixing. If we allow them to do this in schools the projects would be fantastic. However, copyright laws stand in the way of that. Creative Commons has help some, but more people need to put things on there.
 
 
 
 
1 Comment Manage Comments for this Entry
Taylor Stoker
I agree with your ideas on Creative Commons and how they are a balancing factor in this whole big long copyright debate.  I also think it's very interesting how Brazil does their CD copyright material, although I'm not sure I agree with it.  It is an interesting idea though.  I also think you're right about if copyright laws were out of the way some of the cooler things our kids could do in school.
Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 09:59 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment