Saturday, June 25, 2011

Week 4 Chapter 9-12 Reading

The Concept of We

 My profession as an educator is a co-profession as a coach as well.  When I decided what my profession would be, it was a profession surrounding sports that was accompanied by a teaching job.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoy my teaching job as my much as my coaching job but this is not how I started my career. I believe that the concept of WE falls in line with my way of thinking when I started my career.  The three concepts of WE directly correlate to me on a personal level.  The story of possibility is that I had to coach and teach to have a job.  I could not do one or the other.  For me it was always a double gig.  As I progressed through my first year I saw how the two went hand and hand. This lead to the emerging entity.  I saw that the more I cared in the classroom and the more I got the kids to respond to me in the classroom, I could get them to follow me more in coaching.  I became a better leader in the gym because of the classroom.  That lead me to the next step of WE of what is best for all of us and how can I improve it.  When I accepted my job as a teacher and a coach, other teachers became much more friendly and willing to help me along my path.  Also my students/players saw that I cared for them in both academia and sports and they were much more willing to work hard for me.  I agree with the three concepts of WE that are written about in our book.

1 comment:

  1. Taylor,

    I am not surprised at your approach to teaching. I too was for many years before becoming a teaching. I also have a confession that teaching best fit with the schedule of coaching, but even a better fit for me with my summer Lifeguarding job, which I would never want to give up for a 12-month career. So I too chose teaching for a different reason and based on a conflict or in our case a co-profession with our true passion. The concept of WE definitely is a perfect fit for a coach… They even have a common saying “There is no I in TEAM” which I think every coach says on a yearly basis if not more even more frequently.

    Teaching is an all around exceptional career for its many perks. Coaching should be recognized as a specific subject of teaching, unfortunately the only downfall is it usually has less opportunity to make money.

    Best of Luck to you!
    Tyson

    ReplyDelete